Monday, September 17, 2007

Why we left Spain to live in Belgium

I am English and my husband is a Brit from South Africa. We met in England, now have two young boys and lived in Marbella, Andalucia, Southern Spain until Summer 2006 when we chose to leave the blue skies, warm/hot weather and move to cloudy, rainy, boring Belgium. The Belgians ask us in astonishment why we left Spain for Belgium and we reply,

"For the weather". They look blankly so we follow up with,

"Actually, it was for the beers".

The truth is we chose Belgium as a civilised, normal, friendly place to live and bring up children. I lived in the capital, Brussels, for six years from 1981-1987 and often regret leaving. My life would have been very different had I stayed. Life in a quiet country village is very different to the capital as a single girl but we still know that we made the right decision.

I am writing this blog to share with you why we love this country and what life here is really like.

Boring, Belgium certainly is not.

No comments: